Thursday, April 14, 2011

Boy, Do I Feel Silly

About a year ago, a I considered applying for a position with one of those sort of ambiguous titles. You know how some companies have a lot of VPs, but they’re not really second in command? That kind of title.

Though I had talked myself out of applying because I didn’t feel qualified, family and friends kept forwarding me the job with notes of how I’d be perfect for it. So, I thought, why not?

As I prepared my application, I emailed my references, one of whom told me she was applying, too. A red flag went up immediately: I knew I was completely out of my element (she’s a very high-ranked, super-experienced professional). I realized it truly was a much bigger job than what I’m qualified for.

But the damage was already done. All of my references, who were all part of that institution, understood firsthand what the position truly was. While they were supportive, they let me down as kindly as they could, feeling I wasn’t qualified for the job. They were totally right. And I was totally embarrassed.

OK, not just embarrassed. Mortified. Wanted to crawl under a rock and die. Maybe even leave the country so I’d never have to look them in the eyes again. Here were some of the people I most respect and I just made myself look like a total moron. If not a moron, then totally full of myself. Needless to say, I did not apply.

So, to finally let go of this embarrassment, which I’ve held on to for over a year, I’m writing about it, and I’m going to include a few tips. Because if you’re overly self-conscious like me, then you know what it’s like to carry this around.

Getting Over Embarrassment
  1. Remember that the world does not revolve around you.
  2. Understand that most people will eventually forget the incident.
  3. Admit your stupidity.
  4. Realize everyone has an embarrassing moment.
  5. Laugh about it.
  6. Talk about it.
  7. Learn and move on.
Sources:

No comments:

Post a Comment